homesports schedulescontactlinksweb archivesnewspaper archives

Links for Thursday, December 14, 2017:

News ObituariesTown TalkCouncilCommissionersFISD

Friona ISD is financially secure according to annual audit

The Friona Independent School District Board of Trustees met in regular session on Monday, December 11 in the boardroom of the FISD Administration building.

Johnson and Sheldon delivered the 2016-107 Annual Audit report and proclaimed that FISD is financially secure. The board approved the report and results.

Elementary Principal Travis Victory gave reports for himself and the ailing Primary Principal Jill Trollinger. Victory reported that the primary would be having their bike giveaway next week. At the elementary, he reported that they have only had two referrals for ISS, the 5th grade field trip to see The Nutcracker was a success, and that the 4th grade field trip was this week to the Amarillo Science Center. He also stated that benchmark testing was being done this week and next week.

A number of Elementary teachers presented work from their students. Second grade teacher Zac Carr presented an animated video presentation created by his students of The Fox and the Stork. Pam Husted and the Life Skills staff presented picture boards that their students had created.

Monty Humble of Mariah Del Este presented an update on the project. He stated that they are still working on the east project but finances are needed to continue. He also stated that due to the current tax legislation in Congress they investors are waiting for the results before moving on.

Humble also reported that the transmission congestion that is being experienced is being addressed. Sharyland is installing a second line that is proposed to ERCOT for additional lines from the Ogallala region to south of Lubbock then on to Midland/Odessa. This should fix the congestion issue.

Mike Baker from Parkhill, Smith, and Cooper delivered an update on the surveys that were sent out to the district. The surveys were extremely encompassing. He also informed the board that he, Aaron Rivera and a number of engineers would be doing walk through of the schools starting Tuesday, December 12. He will deliver the companies recommendations at the January 11, 2018 meeting. He mentioned that the biggest concern at this point is replacing windows and lighting, as they are in bad shape. Baker stated that there are many upgrades that need to be made.

The board approved the consent agenda which included JEM Construction gifting back to the school $2,000 off his construction costs at the Ag Farm east of Friona. The recent fire at the Ag farm was due to heat lamps and was addressed by the current Ag Instructors. They stated they would be monitoring the situation more closely.

Good news was in the summary of the financial impact of the Chapter 313 agreement with Mariah Del Norte, LLC. FISD will be receiving $2.1 million this month and another $1.8 million in January 2018 as part of the agreement.

The board agreed to join the TexBuy Region 16 Coop for a savings in items purchased for the district.

After a lengthy discussion, the board approved the moving of funds to an ICS CEDAR investment program.

The board approved the policy amendments concerning donating excess food to the Food Bank and an addition to the drug policy.

The board approved the resolution presented by the Retired Teachers Organization to promote employee voting.

The final item on the agenda before the board went into executive session was to approve the application to the Education Superhighway Grant through E-Rate. Through the grant, E-Rate will pay 80% of the fees and TEA will pay the remaining 20% leaving no cost to the district.

The Board of Trustees will meet next on Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 7 p.m. at the Administration Building. All meetings are open to the public and the community is encouraged to attend.